A Home Care Package can make all the difference in keeping you independent and comfortable at home. As the largest provider of Home Care Packages in Victoria, we offer flexible services tailored to suit your needs, your lifestyle, and what you value most.
What is a Home Care Package?
A Home Care Package is a government-funded, coordinated package of services, tailored to meet the care needs of older people who wish to remain living at home for as long as possible.
We offer four levels of Home Care Packages. As a result, we can tailor a care plan that enables you to live independently, the way you choose. The four levels of Home Care Packages are:
- Level 1 – basic care needs.
- Level 2 – low-level care needs.
- Level 3 – intermediate care needs.
- Level 4 – high-level care needs.
You may also be eligible for additional government funding through a supplement to assist with more specialised needs such as dementia support.
If you feel you need more support than is funded by your Home Care Package level, or if you need support while waiting for your Home Care Package to be available, you can always purchase home care services with your own money. You don’t need to wait for a government program to be available to get help or support.
Come directly to our team. We’re always happy to have an open and honest discussion about the costs associated with staying independent at home.
How do I access a Home Care Package?
To be eligible for a Home Care Package, you must be assessed by Aged Care Assessment Services (ACAS) to determine your care needs. This assessment is free; referrals for an Aged Care Assessment can be arranged by you, your family, or a doctor. You also need to register in My Aged Care, the national entry point to Australia’s aged care system.
We’re here to help you through every step of the process. We understand the system and can help you get the most out of it through our free Access and Advisory Service, offered to you with no obligation.
Give us a call on 1300 478 776 to start the process with our friendly, experienced staff.
What kind of care can I access through a Home Care Package?
Everyone’s life is unique. We will work with you, listen to your story and learn about your lifestyle to understand what’s important to you, so we can support your physical needs and your overall wellbeing.
We can assist with:
- Getting around: travel to and from your appointments, do the grocery shopping, go to the hairdresser, visit friends and family and more.
- Domestic assistance: get help with your daily routine around the house including cleaning, laundry, cooking, getting ready in the morning, preparing for bed, showering and more.
- Health and wellbeing: get assistance with your medication, support when coming home from hospital, help organising medical appointments and more.
- Fun, family and friends: Visit your family and friends, get actively involved in your hobbies, learn to use technology to stay in touch, and get out and about in your community.
- Caring for your carers: If you’re caring for someone—a family member, friend, or loved one—we can provide you with a break from your care responsibilities.
With our Home Care Packages, you have the flexibility to choose how involved you want to be in managing your care.
Are there any costs associated with a Home Care Package?
Your Home Care Package provides you with government-subsidised funding for access to many of your chosen care services; however, most people are expected to contribute a small amount towards the associated costs. This is called co-contribution.
The maximum amount you may be asked to pay depends on your income and any unavoidable expenses such as pharmaceutical bills or costs associated with medical equipment.
Our team will negotiate a fee structure to suit your personal circumstances.
For immediate peace of mind or to help with your expectations, My Aged Care can provide an indicative estimate of your fees through the Home Care Fee estimator. My Aged Care is an Australian Government website listing up-to-date information about aged care services and the fees involved.
How is Southern Cross Care (Vic) different to other care providers?
With so many choices, it can be difficult to navigate Australia’s aged care system. That’s why we have made managing and coordinating care simple, flexible and personal. We invite you to experience the Southern Cross Care (Vic) difference where:
- we take a personal approach to care by getting to know you as an individual and learning what matters to you
- our range of services allows us to be with you every step of the way throughout your aged care journey
- you will be supported by a dedicated care team from the very beginning
- our services are provided mostly by our own experienced and highly trained staff
- we have the expertise and the experience to support older people and those living with memory loss.
How do I choose Southern Cross Care (Vic) as my provider?
When you decide that Southern Cross Care (Vic) is the right provider for you, contact our Customer Support Team at your local Southern Cross Care (Vic) office to arrange for your care services to begin, or to make a time for a Care Manager to visit you at home to discuss your care plan.